Due to construction, Ferst Drive is closed from Atlantic to Fowler. Pedestrian traffic will be slightly rerouted only at the intersection of Ferst and Atlantic Drives. Participants should enter campus via 10th Street and turn onto State Street. Both parking lots are accessible from State Street.
All participants should check in at the registration area, located in the atrium of the Ford Environmental Science and Technology Building (ES&T).
The Ford Bldg. is one of four buildings in Georgia Tech’s Biotechnology Campus, located on the corner of Ferst Drive and Atlantic Drive (311 Ferst Dr. NW—You will not see the Ford Bldg. from the street).
Look for sidewalk chalk art to guide you to the building. A Google Map is available here.
The eighth annual National Robotics Week event will be held April 8-16, 2017. Georgia Tech’s open house will be held from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on Thursday, April 13.
Since the launch of National Robotics Week in 2010, Georgia Tech has participated annually in the event by sponsoring an open house and conducting lab tours and robot demonstrations for middle and high school students and other members of the community.
Sponsored by Georgia Tech’s Institute for Robotics and Intelligent Machines (IRIM), our 2017 event promises to be even more exciting than last year, including demos of new robots that have not been featured in previous years.
2017 Event Information
Date & Location
- Thursday, April 13, 2017
- All participants should check in at the registration area, located in the atrium of the Ford Environmental Science and Technology Building (ES&T). The Ford ES&T Bldg. is one of four buildings in Georgia Tech’s Biotechnology Campus, located on the corner of Ferst Drive and Atlantic Drive (311 Ferst Dr NW). Sidewalk chalk art will guide participants to the building. A Google Map is available here.
Guests attending both the morning and afternoon sessions will tour different robotics labs; the sessions are not duplicates.
9:00 Check-in for Tours Begins (Ford ES&T Bldg., First Floor Atrium—see location details above)
9:30 Tours Depart—Morning Session
11:45 Lunch (Ford ES&T Bldg., L1 Atrium—see location details above)
12:45 Check-in for Tours Begins (Ford ES&T Bldg., First Floor Atrium—see location details above)
1:00 Tours Depart—Afternoon Session
3:00 Event Concludes
- Registration is limited and submissions will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. Please complete the registration form early to ensure you, your student, or student group can be accommodated.
- When registration has reached the maximum number of attendees, the registration form will be turned off. At that time, you are welcome to contact us by email at NRW@robotics.gatech.edu to be placed on our waiting list.
- We are unable to accommodate large groups of students enrolled in pre-K or K-5 programs or children who have not yet reached pre-K age. Younger students may register to attend if accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. (Please use the “Individual Student Registration” form below.)
- Georgia Tech faculty, staff, and students—as well as adult members of the community—are welcome to attend. Please visit this page to register. These guests do not need to complete the registration form below; however, they will need to complete the Model Release Form in advance or at the event.
Required Consent Forms
To attend the event, each student must have a parent or legal guardian complete a Parental Release Form, related to liability, and a Model Release Form, related to the use of photographs and video footage taken during the event. Chaperones should also complete the Model Release Form. These forms may be collected, scanned, and emailed in one file to NRW@robotics.gatech.edu prior to the event, or the primary point of contact may present paper copies of the signed forms during check in.
Personal vehicles should park in a campus visitor’s lot. The two closest locations are the Area 4 Lot, located at the intersection of Ferst Dr. and State St., and the Area 5 Lot (W23 Deck), located on State St., close to the intersection of 10th St.
Personal Vehicle Parking Fees
- The Area 4 Lot fee rate is $2.00 per hour, payable in advance by cash or card.
- The Area 5 Lot fee rate varies by total hours parked, from $1.50 for up to one hour to $15.00 for six–24 hours.
- More information about visitor parking is available on the GT Parking & Transportation Services website.
Bus Parking Details
There is no charge to park buses in the designated area on Tech Parkway NW. Buses should plan to drop students off at the intersection of Ferst Dr. and Atlantic Dr. where signs will be posted directing them to the nearby check-in location. Afterward, bus drivers who elect to remain on campus must park on Tech Parkway NW.
Regardless of whether you are signing up for just one or both tour sessions, walking outdoors is a necessary component of this event. Please wear comfortable shoes and dress for the weather, which in Atlanta during spring may change without advanced warning. Transportation will be provided to some of the more remote tour locations on campus.
The lunch location will be announced soon. Guests have the option of bringing a brown bag lunch or visiting the Georgia Tech student center to select from a variety of options. The student center includes a food court and a commons area, and is centrally located on campus. Bottled water will be available to all guests.
If you have questions that are not answered on this page or in the additional details provided during the registration process, please contact NRW@robotics.gatech.edu.