Full Proposal Deadline(s) (due by 5 p.m. proposer's local time):
March 07, 2016
January 12, 2017
Second Thursday in January, Annually Thereafter
This solicitation NSF 16-517 is a revision of NSF 15-505, the solicitation for the National Robotics Initiative (NRI). The corresponding National Institutes of Health (NIH) notification, NIH Guide Notice NOT-EB-15-008 (http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-EB-13-005.html), is being updated in parallel with this solicitation.
Below are several important points for FY 2016 NRI submissions:
- The U.S. Department of Energy Office of Environmental Management (DOE/EM) has joined the NRI. For a detailed statement of their interests, see section II.A.2. Sponsoring Agency Mission Specific Research.
- The Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR) has provided its research interests relevant to the NRI. For details, see section II.A.2. Sponsoring Agency Mission Specific Research.
- In the context of NRI, The National Institutes of Health (NIH) is interested in proposals in the area of assistive robotics. NIH will not review proposals submitted on topics in surgical robotics, prosthetics, or exoskeletons, in response to the NRI solicitation. For a detailed statement of NIH’s interests, see section II.A.2. Sponsoring Agency Mission Specific Research. In addition to hypothesis-driven research, NIH also supports non-hypothesis-driven applications, which includes technology-driven and problem-driven applications.
- The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) has updated its research interests relevant to the National Robotics Initiative (NRI) program. For details, see section II.A.2. Sponsoring Agency Mission Specific Research.
- The research areas supported by NRI include those relating to autonomous operations of robots. This fact has been emphasized by adding a bullet on autonomy to the list of research areas listed in section II.A.1 of this solicitation.
Any proposal submitted in response to this solicitation should be submitted in accordance with the revised NSF Proposal & Award Policies & Procedures Guide (PAPPG) (NSF 16-1), which is effective for proposals submitted, or due, on or after January 25, 2016. Please be advised that proposers who opt to submit prior to January 25, 2016, must also follow the guidelines contained in NSF 16-1.